A Double Workout: Track Training & Walleyball!

Good morning, friends!

Yesterday’s workout was in two parts. I had an intramural walleyball game at 5:45, so I decided that instead of getting up to run before class, I would combine my workouts and do a track workout in the evening before walleyball. Efficiency AND a chance to sleep in? I’m sold.

I arrived at the track around 5:15, so I only had about 20 minutes to work with — good motivation to get moving and not stop!

I decided to do a speedy 2 miles — I’m trying to amp up speed work some in preparation for all my upcoming races — the Tobacco Road Half Marathon, the Tarheel 10 Miler, and of course the Reach the Beach Relay!

Here’s what I did:

  • 1 warm up lap (0.25 miles)
  • 6 laps of sprint the straights, jog the curves (1.5 miles)
  • 1 cool down lap (0.25 miles)

It was a great workout — quick and dirty and with no stopping, since I knew I didn’t have a lot of time to work with. I didn’t have my watch with me, but I would guess my jog the curve pace was about 8:30 min/miles and my sprints were about 7 min//miles. Not the fastest I’ve sprinted, but it worked!

Post workout red face:

It was fun to be working out outside in the evening vs. the morning — I got to wear shorts! It was pretty warm out.

After my speedy track workout, I hightailed it over to the gym for intramural walleyball! (Here’s some info about what walleyball is!)

And would you believe this: WE WON OUR GAME!!!!!!!!!!!!! For the first time ever!! Not only are Lauren and I (next to me in blue shorts in the photos) a lot better than we were last year, but the other girls we have on the team this year are good, too. I was so proud of us!

Today, intramural walleyball. Tomorrow: the world. No big.

We ended up playing for about an hour — the first half hour was our actual game (the other team was good but we were better — it was a good game with lots of epic points and battles — and I was on a serious tear with my serve — aces all around!), and the second half just hitting it around for fun. Randomly some UNC senior guys walked by and decided to join us, so that was funny. Great night. 🙂

I’m off to get some serious work done — today is basically “cram as much work into the next 12 hours as possible” day (with a break for yoga and a walk at some point) because tomorrow I’ll be at school all day and then my friend (and bridesmaid) Jessica is coming to visit, arriving tomorrow night! I can’t WAIT to see her — she lives out in Seattle and it’s been way too long. She’s also bringing her bridesmaid dress (the girls all ordered them already — details/pics in this post) so I can finally see it in person! There are free returns so if I’m not feeling it, we can always send it back. I’m worried it might be too dark (almost black) in person? I wanted more blue… we’ll see.

Are you training for any races (or doing any fun/silly sports) right now? How’s it going?

Posted in Uncategorized

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *