Day in the Life

Thank you to The Quaker Oats Company for sponsoring this post! All opinions are my own.

Hey guys! It’s time for another Day in the Life post – it’s been quite awhile since I’ve done one of these, and I know you guys enjoy seeing how one of my typical workdays looks. Since my previous Day in the Life posts have mostly been on days I was working downtown, today I thought I’d share a day when I worked from home! Here’s what I was up to on a random weekday a few weeks ago. 🙂

6 a.m. – Alarm goes off! Get up, change into workout clothes, feed and let out the dogs, and make myself a pre-workout snack. Today’s menu is toast with almond butter and some fresh blueberries on top, plus a big glass of water.

6:40 a.m. – Out the door! Pick up my workout buddy Chelsea on the way and drive to a studio in Courthouse to take a circuit workout boot camp class. Having workout buddies = the best. So helpful for accountability (and fun)!

7 – 8 a.m. – Get our sweat on! It’s a tough but fun one. At nearly 25 weeks pregnant now I’m definitely slowing down and modifying things more, but I’m proud of myself for still getting out there – workouts do wonders for my mood.

8 – 8:15 a.m. – Drive Chelsea back home and then head home myself.

8:15 – 8:30 a.m. – Breakfast! I’m excited because breakfast is already ready and waiting for me – Quaker sent me samples of their new Overnight Oats to try! I prepped it the night before and it took about 30 seconds flat – just add milk (or your fave non-dairy option) up to the noted line, stir, and put in the fridge. That’s it – then it’s ready and waiting for you the next morning!

The new Overnight Oats are made with a hearty blend of oats, fruits, quinoa, flaxseed and nuts, with no artificial flavors or added colors. They come in four flavors:

  • Raisin Walnut & Honey Heaven
  • Blueberry Banana & Vanilla Bliss
  • Orchard Peach Pecan Perfection
  • Toasted Coconut & Almond Crunch

I decided to try the Raisin Walnut & Honey Heaven first. It was sooo good – cool, creamy, and hearty rather than mushy. Delicious as is, but I stirred in a little bit of cottage cheese after taking this photo for added creaminess and some salty/sweet flavor combo fun – you guys know I love cottage cheese in my oats. 🙂

8:30 – 9 a.m. – Catch up on emails while waiting for my brother to get back from the gym – this was his last day in town so we planned to take the dogs for a walk together before he headed to the airport!

9 – 9:45 a.m. – Take the dogs for a nice long walk with my brother! He brought us back iced lattes from a local coffee shop so I drink mine while we walk. Delish!

9:45 – 10 a.m. – Quick shower.

10 – 11:30 a.m. – Work time! Catch up on emails, write and publish my blog post for the day.

11:30 a.m. – 12 p.m. – AnneTheRD nutrition client call.

12 – 12:30 p.m. – Lunch time! The Overnight Oats and latte held me over nicely for the morning so I didn’t need a snack – but now I’m hungry! I have some leftover shrimp, rice/quinoa mix, and veggie stir fry.

I’m still a little hungry when I finish off the stir fry leftovers, so I make a bowl of plain Greek yogurt with fresh fruit and slivered almonds on top to finish off my meal.

12:30 – 2 p.m. – Back to work! Finish up some more blog-related emails, write a follow up email to my nutrition client, get started on some upcoming blog posts, etc. I also throw in some laundry and clean up the kitchen a little. Working from home is hard sometimes because you find your household to-do list gets piled on top of your work to-do list – but it’s nice to be able to multitask and get some home things done during the week!

2 – 2:45 p.m. – I’m sooooo tired after my early morning, hard workout, and the long hot walk with my brother. I decide I need a nap if I’m going to be able to focus later, and the dogs are sleeping soundly in the living room, so I go for it. In the first trimester I found myself needing a nap almost every day (I was so fortunate to be able to work from home a ton so naps were an option – mad props to those of you pregnant while in an office, I don’t know how you do it), but now I rarely need naps anymore – but sometimes you just gotta listen to your body!

2:45 – 3 p.m. – Let the dogs outside and make myself a snack. I decide on a fun sampler plate with crackers, guac, hummus, and various veggies! I normally like regular (vs. baby) carrots because I think regular carrots taste better, but we got sent home with some baby carrots leftover from our family beach trip so I am finishing them off.

3 – 5:15 p.m. – More computer work! This was the week before I took a 2 day in-person training course in Motivational Interviewing (a counseling technique I already use in my AnneTheRD private practice with clients) and we were given some pre-lectures to work through beforehand, so I listen to a few of the lectures and take notes. It’s always helpful to refine professional skills – and I get continuing education credits towards maintaining my RD credential so that’s always a good thing too! (If you’re also in private practice and interested in the course, the one I did was through Molly Kellogg. She travels all around to lead them – looks like Boston and Philly are next!)

5:15 p.m. – Head out the door to meet an in-person AnneTheRD client at a coffee shop. I eat a quick snack on my way there – some snack balls made with raw cashews, walnuts, dates, a pinch of salt, and rolled in shredded coconut. I winged it and didn’t measure anything, but if you’re looking for similar recipes, try my Cinnamon Raisin Almond Balls or Chocolate Coconut Almond Balls!

5:30 – 6 p.m. – Nutrition client meeting at the coffee shop!

6 – 7 p.m. – Fire up my laptop at the coffee shop to write and send my client follow up email, then finish out some more work emails for the day before heading home.

7:15 – 8 p.m. – Matt texts me that he’s going to be home late (around 7:45), so I feed the dogs and then make dinner so it’s ready right when he walks in the door.

It’s so nice to be able to eat normally again in the evenings without pregnancy nausea – yay!! On the menu: Thai turkey lettuce cups. We both LOVE lettuce cups, especially Asian-themed ones, and these were really delicious. Refreshing and summery!

8 – 9 p.m. – Matt and I take the dogs out for another nice long walk! We end up in a park and Matt sprints around with them and a tennis ball while I sit on a bench and relax. 🙂 I didn’t have my phone with me and wish I had because the sunset was stunning! Having dogs has definitely upped our walking distance – it’s nice to take a walk together in the evenings vs. just sit on the couch! I’m excited for fall weather, though… totally over this humidity.

Tired doggies = happy owners. 🙂

9 – 9:20 p.m. – Get ready for bed, then pack up my work bag, makeup, and an outfit for the next day since I’ll be heading into the city early for a workout and staying for the whole day at my co-working space.

9:20 p.m – Lights out! Matt is still up but I know I need to get lots of rest right now, and I have another early morning awaiting. Goodnight!

What is your typical day in the life like?

Want more? Previous Day in the Life posts:

  • December 2016 Day in the Life
  • August 2016 Day in the Life
  • April 2016 Day in the Life
  • September 2015 Day in the Life
  • February 2015 Day in the Life
  • September 2014 Day in the Life
Posted in Uncategorized

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *